Genioplasty: cosmetic chin surgery.
The chin constitutes one of the most important elements of the harmony of the face just like the nose, the mouth, the ears. Some people suffer psychologically from a malformation of the chin.
Let's break this operation down into several parts:
1. The principle of a Genioplasty
The main goal of a person is to have a harmonious chin (vertical line starting from the most protruding part of the forehead comes directly to the chin). If this is not the case, we can see two types of anomalies:
- Receding chin: ("erased") is behind this line. It is common for a receding chin to be accompanied by a nose bump (we speak of a "bird profile" in common parlance).
- Salient chin : ("galoche") is located beyond this line. It is characterized by a protrusion of the tassel (levator chin muscle) or mandibular bone.
Anomalies in the position of the chin can lead to lesions of the lower gum tissue, which can cause the teeth to loosen. In this case, the bad positioning of the chin is in fact a bad positioning of the whole lower jaw or mandible in relation to the upper jaw.
2. The intervention of Genioplasty.
The procedure will depend on the initial shape of the chin.
- In the case of a receding chin, genioplasty involves modifying the initial shape of the face using contoured implants for the contour of the chin. Insertion of the implant involves an incision under the chin or inside the mouth.
- In the case of a protruding chin, the procedure involves resection of the bony protrusion from an incision made under the chin or inside the mouth. Sometimes, plasty gestures of the muscles or the skin opposite are carried out to put them back in tension.
This operation can be performed under local or general anesthesia. General anesthesia is necessary when the intervention combines other surgical procedures such as rhinoplasty (this is called "profiloplasty").
The duration of a genioplasty is between 30 minutes and 2 hours.
3. The post-operative follow-up of the Genioplasty
A genioplasty causes a small scar under the chin when an incision is made there. In the case of an oral incision, the scar is larger but completely hidden. The first days after genioplasty, you may experience moderate pain related to edema or bruising.
In the case of a genioplasty that first takes the mouth as a route, it is normal to feel uncomfortable eating for the first few days (we recommend that you give preference to liquid or semi-liquid foods).
Following cosmetic chin surgery, work can be resumed after a week of convalescence. Any activity that could cause shock to the chin should be avoided for at least six weeks.
The result of a genioplasty can be appreciated when the edema disappears completely (usually between 2 and 4 weeks). The result can be considered definitive after a month and a half in the case of a protruding chin and three months in the case of a receding chin.
For any further information, we will meet during an appointment before the operation and you have access to our website to see our prices and our before / after photos.